Re: source for glutaraldehyde & Which gelatine ?

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 03/06/06-02:39:02 AM Z

Chris

Clearly I do not know if this is the case but it sounds if you are using the
wrong gelatine.

In my experience, if you use a photographic gelatine, which is more pure and
harder than food gelatines, you will not get these problems.
Of course having a fair number of chemistry PhDs among my students helped to
give scientific backing to our experiments.

When I started in in alternative processes many years ago I set out to
simplify the overcomplications which had built up in the manuals. Among the things
we found were that you do not need hardeners and that gelatine, in the right
proportions for sizing, gives perfectly good platinum prints, which means,
of course, that gelatine sized papers are perfectly good for platinum
printing.

The only time I seek to change gelatine is when I dichromate it when making
a substrate for gum printing.

Terry

In a message dated 04/03/2006 15:51:28 GMT Standard Time, zphoto@montana.net