Subject: Re: source for glutaraldehyde & Which gelatine ?

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 03/06/06-11:58:54 AM Z

Chris

I replied first of all to the point that struck me most in your e mail.

I have chrome alum and formadehyde and glyoxal on my studio shelves but I
found very quickly that I did not need them whatever the books may have said..
The chrome alum is such a pretty colour !

One thing that does become clear when reading earlier manuals, from the
1850s onward, is that the people who write them often have no practical
experience and that even when they do they still love to obfucscate. Recent
experience has thrown up professors of photography with no understanding of the
relationship of exposure to development, international gurus whose expertise of
alternative processes is based upon the authoritative writings of other experts
over the last century when a simple test would have shown that they were
wrong, and a general discounting of technical ability among certain teachers who
completely disdain alternative processes.

I started with Bockingford, which does not need sizing but I now use
Fabriano Artistico for nearly everything sizing it differently for different
purposes. I do not use very white papers as I do not like the enhanced white.

The 260 Bloom gelatine I use does not appear to be slimey. For solution
prints I dry the gelatine quickly and then humidify it before coating..

. I teach my students never to believe anything anyone ever tells them,
including me, until they have tested it for themselves. Socrates taught this well
over 2000 years ago (Nullius in Verba (Horace), 'Take no man's word for it'
(motto of the Royal Society).

Hope that we can meet soon perhaps at APIS 2006 which we are holding at
Oxford Unoversity in September. A paper on sizing over the last century and a
half could be interesting.

Terry

In a message dated 06/03/2006 16:23:06 GMT Standard Time, zphoto@montana.net