Re: 4-chloro-M-cresol

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/08/06-04:24:29 AM Z

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Subject: 4-chloro-M-cresol
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:59:43 -0500 (EST)

> Does anyone know of anyone in the alt world who uses this 'preservative',
> 4-chloro-M-cresol, in the formulation of their alt materials.

p-chloro-m-cresol is a good bactericide, once very popularly used in
many applications. It's more potent than thymol, which is more potent
than phenol. Modern users usually avoid agents that are chlorinated on
the benzene ring for environmental and health reasons. I prefer
sodium salt of 2-phenylphenol, as it is very effective for both fungi
and bacteria, and it has relatively low toxicity to
mammals. Isothiazolinones such as
5-chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one are also very popularly used
today (they are everywhere--from shampoos, liquid soaps, styling gels,
etc.) Comanies like Roam and Haas and Dow make them a lot.