Re: yupo and gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/11/06-11:17:37 AM Z

Here are the scans I promised, of gum on yupo using the Thayer-
Klinker dry-brush method :--).

Coating with a dry brush isn't as easy as coating the usual way; it's
difficult to get the emulsion smooth, and in the 5 or 6 prints I've
done, I've not yet mastered this. The reasons to persevere and
perfect the coating would be the speed of drying and the interesting
surface of the print; it's like no other kind of gum print I've ever
seen, and I've printed gum a lot of different ways on a lot of
different surfaces. The surface looks like a photograph on RC paper;
I said glossy the other day but it's not really glossy, it's more a
soft luster, a semi-gloss kind of sheen, but of course it has the
quality of a gum print as well, so you have the best of both worlds.
You also get very lovely tonal transitions and sharp detail, as the
surface is perfectly smooth.

Some other disadvantages: It's hard to get a real deep tone with
this, as you're applying the coating so thinly that there aren't as
many pigment molecules per square inch. The other thing I learned,
trying a second coat this morning, is that multiple coatings are
problematic, because it's almost impossible to see the thin coating
over the image and be sure it's thin enough. I got it too thick, and
it didn't stick in development.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Yupo2.html

Katharine