Re: yupo and gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/10/06-05:24:00 PM Z

Well, I just discovered something, and it was Dennis's hint that led
me to it in an indirect way, which just goes to show.

Anyway, what I just discovered is that the key to printing gum on
untreated yupo; that is printing a normal looking photograph without
the emulsion running or flaking, is to brush on a very thin dry coat.
The surface of the yupo grabs onto the dry-brushed layer and keeps it
in place, even in the water, whereas a layer brushed on thicker or
wetter runs off or moves around on the plastic surface.

The trick is laying down an even coat; I'm still getting the hang of
that. You can move it around a little bit, but not very much. It's
really the same thing as the normal way of coating with a brush, but
you have to do it with even a quicker and lighter touch, because the
dry coating sets immediately as it's brushed on.

What I do, which might or might not be the best way to do it; maybe
someone else has a better idea -- I dip the brush lightly into the
coating mix and then touch it to a paper towel, which draws off much
of the moist coating and leaves a fairly dry brush. Then I proceed as
usual, except, as I say, quicker and lighter even than usual.

I've done five prints like this without a hint of flaking or running
of the image. I've got to go do something now, but will scan a couple
of them later when I have time. I don't know how well this works for
multiple coats, but I'll find out. Like I say, the appeal of this for
me is the fast drying, and the interesting print surface. Later,
Katharine