transmissive densities - Glossy vs. Premium Semigloss

From: Jon Lybrook ^lt;jon@terabear.com>
Date: 03/18/06-12:53:37 PM Z

Hi All,

I just did "poor man's densitometer" readings on two Pictorico OHP
transparencies using my Epson 4870 scanner: One was printed as premium
semigloss and the other as glossy in the printer driver settings for the
Epson Stylus 2200. Both were 360ppi images set to 1440 dpi in the
printer driver.

Film printed with the semigloss setting came out about 2% more dense on
average in the blackest black region and 3% more dense in the next
lightest black region of this image (values were 83% and 78% K
respectively. Film printed with the glossy setting read 81% and 75%
respectively).

Is this in keeping with other data people have found with Pictorico OHP
on the Epson 2200? I'm curious if my readings are consistent with
other's more precise and absolute hardware readings, and how well my
scanner actually works as a transmissive densitometer.

Thanks,
Jon