Re: colors for colorizing digital negatives

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 03/24/06-12:38:41 PM Z

Katharine,

I did a similar experiment for another process but I over exposed in the
hope it would increase the difference between the triangles that are
"blocking" UV. By doing this I also got 5-6 triangles that where better then
others and one that definitly was opaque to UV in my particular situation.
It's the fourth from the right on bottom row (green on the right, red on the
left but I don't recall if I put the neg face up or down). I also notice
this triangle wasn't the most opaque visually and by far.

There are several layers of translations between what you see on your
screen, what's in the file and what gets printed in the end. In the case of
gum and probably of most other process if not all of them, there is another
important factor to consider, I think it's is called the gamut or if you
prefer the range of colors you can reproduce with the process used. In all
case, this gamut is only a relatively small subset of what can be produce by
your monitor which is also a subset of all theorical color possible. In
other words WYSIWYG is a day dream when you try to get something out of the
box (computer).

All this to say that adding color to your negs is only the tip of the tip of
the top most ice crystal on the iceberg. Ideally one should aim for
linearity between what is seen on the screen and what gets printed in the
end. Here I assume that one likes (loves) what is viewed on the screen and
would like to see the same qualities on the print but I guess it would be
very difficult if not impossible to realise. One possible avenue I would
consider is to create a color space that match what is possible with the
printing process involved, otherwise it would be quite a challenge to
interprete what you see on the screen into what will result from all these
translations from file to print. I'm not saying it's impossible but I would
say only a few people could achieve this level of visualisation and it would
take a long longgg time to get there.

There is still a problem with what I just said. If it's possible to
constraint the monitor to show only what is possible on the final print,
there would still be many translations involved to get what's on the screen
to paper. Finding the color that results in Dmin on the print is just a tiny
step on this road.

I wonder if something as been done along this line of thought?

Regards,
Yves

PS Nothing personal here, I'm just thinking aloud.