Re: archivalness and alt process

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 03/27/06-10:40:41 AM Z

>>> zphoto@montana.net 03/27/06 9:52 AM >>>
...Why not chime in here
with your experience with VDB vs. argyrotype? Any degradation issues?...

Chris,

I have not had any issues with VDB fading in the 15 or so years I have
been printing them. I suspect the newer ones from the past couple years
will be even less likely to fade since I've started following advice on
using citric acid instead of plain water for the initial rinse and have
religiously been treating them in Clerc's old toner which I use both for
its archival benefits and because I really like the resultant color.

I tried argyrotypes many years ago but saw no benefit in my own work
with the newer process.

I have a VDB hanging on a wall in my bathroom which reaches 100%
humidity on a daily basis. The print resides just above the path of
direct afternoon sunlight on the wall. I haven't noticed any fading of
that image to speak of. So, I don't worry about VDB fading.

Joe