Re: archivalness and alt process

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/29/06-05:56:20 PM Z

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Joe Smigiel wrote:

> I have not had any issues with VDB fading in the 15 or so years I have
> been printing them. I suspect the newer ones from the past couple years
> will be even less likely to fade since I've started following advice on
> using citric acid instead of plain water for the initial rinse and have
> religiously been treating them in Clerc's old toner which I use both for
> its archival benefits and because I really like the resultant color.

Which toner is that? (As I recall Clerc had several.)

I'll add that I did hundreds of tests with VDB about 15 years ago, mostly
with additives in (failed) attempts to make the prints black. (The closest
was with additions of gallic acid, but they stained, etc.) True, they've
been stored in a folder in the dark -- but even the untoned ones show no
signs of fading (yet).

J.