Re: New Gloy = Bakerex

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/28/06-09:44:04 AM Z

But to expand on Loris's original question, PVA doesn't come in just
one kind. PVA comes in different degrees of hydrolysis, different
degrees of polymerization, different molecular weights. If you
can't specify, your instructions are only of use in a general
nonquantitative sense -- (get some PVA of whatever kind (although the
degree of hydrolysis should be high regardless) some glycerine, some
water; mix them together in proportions of your choosing until it
seems about right)-- because for different PVAs, I would expect that
different amounts of glycerine and water would be needed to reach the
same goal.

BTW, your hydrometer will measure specific gravity but not viscosity;
the two are not highly correlated. (Oh shoot, Gord, I lost the URL
you gave us for this, when I changed computers. But never mind, you
can probably find this information by googling viscosity and specific
gravity.) This is one of the two most useful things I've learned on
this list, the other being why you're not supposed to shift on a curve.

Katharine