Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/31/06-01:29:51 AM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:17:38 -0800

> Could you suggest a degree of hydrolysis and a molecular weight that
> might satisfy Gord's criteria?

No, this is something you can only find experimentally. However, the
lowest available for PVA adhesive is about 87%, so the range is rather
narrow. Larger molecular weight has stronger adhesion and less readily
soluble in water (before and after crosslinking).

Frankly, polymer technology is mostly kept in the industrial domain as
proprietary information, just like many many other useful chemical
knowledge. I know quite a bit about gelatin but your question
regarding PVA is not something I can crank up my computer to do some
calculation to answer.

But I posted general directions of which variables to steer to which
direction, so you can minimize number of trials to get to the perfect
solution you seek. More information can be found in industrial
chemistry literature, but not that kind of directly useful
information. Those, they keep secret.