Re: that NY Times article

From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 02:15:56 -0400

Hi,

I'm you neighbour (not a typo, In Canada we also spell neighbor with a
"u", colour, cheque, anyway,)from the North. I feel like a voyeur,
looking into my neighbours's house, eyes over the window sill,
listening. You can keep this thread going, I don't mind if you don't
mind my periodically chiming in.

  I'd like to take the opportunity to make an observation. I was in
University 1964-68, protested against the war in Vietnam. So I've been
following it around for a while. One thing that I have noticed, and my
colleagues in the department thought the same thing, you have very
limited information options in terms of variety. I look at the
American news channels we get up here, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBC, FOX, BRAVO,
SHOWCASE, PBS (2 different ones), and a whole other bunch I never look
at. They all say the same thing. I look at the reportage of the war in
Iraq and Katrina and all the news stations say the same thing. The
point of view is always the same. But hear, we also get the CBC News,
BBC, French and now that now neighbour hooked me to his second antenna,
German and Polish. On cable I can now get the Arab network, Al Jizerra.
  Like, are we on the same planet????? Certainly, if you compare the
Non_American News reporting and the American one, you sometimes have to
wonder. Are we talking about the same war in Iraq. There is an an out
and out civil war going on in Iraq, Shiites against Sunnis, and the
American news, well, we have the situation under control. There are
thousands and thousands of innocent civilians who have have died because
of this war. There's always going to be some collateral damage, is what
I hear from south of the border.

I that respect, I would venture that you have also been failed terribly
by the news media and journalists. Something happend to the news media
with the end of the war in Vietnam. The newsmedia had an important part
to play in ending that war. The images. Watch the war while eating
supper. Now, the media almost sounds prudish and apologetic. A white
  house briefing is a joke compared to other countries.

Anyway, I think that the role of the media merits some discussion.

By the way, I must have looked the other way, but could I have that URL
to the NY Times article on "Freud and the Fundamentalist Urge." I am
curious as to what Meine Herr Doktor Professor would say. I think that
  much of what Freud wrote concerning the human pysche has been found to
be sorely deficient, his conception of women, "a man without a penis"
But the there still remain some very interesting insights in his work
that call for a pause and reflection, for example, "Civilization and
its Discontents."

To give this the alt-photo-process imprimataur, I slowly getting into
Palladium printing. I'm learning. Right now, I do silver gelatin.

See around,
Ciao,
Bogdan

--