that NY Times article

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:07:12 -0400 (EDT)

The article Pam mentions is the article I recommended, probably so far
into something else nobody saw it. I PROMISE it answers many of the
questions brought up today and yesterday -- in terms, not just of naivete,
or people being evil, but of -- excuse the expression, human nature.

I think reading it would take this discussion to another level...in fact
remove much of the animus, which it does seem is already lower. That's
good. We've bottled up these feelings for "peace on the list" for years.
If they come out now, for a while anyway, without hysterics and rage (or
KILL THE MESSENGER as did happen briefly) it's better, not worse for "the
list," which is after all a "community."

I disagree that the discussion, conducted in civil terms, SHOULD be cut
off before it's run its course -- which does seen almost if not entirely
run now. And I don't think the analogy with, for example, Italian food
holds... If information & ideas are exchanged civilly (& it's only been a
couple of days) that IS more important than "gum curves." These are issues
of life, death, justice, peace, democracy, and, very possibly ALL
civilization or at least our own.... Fond as I am of Italian food,
civilisation could stumble along if we never had another risotto.

But again, READ THAT ARTICLE. Pam gives the URL.. It's a FASCINATING
proposition... and after that, another book by Freud, "Civilization and
its Discontents." Yeah, Freud is obsolete. (We're getting there too.)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Judy Seigel wrote:

> ... this gives me opportunity to recommend an EXTREMELY
> insightful article in today's NY Times magazine, titled "Freud and the
> Fundamentalist Urge." Whoever tries to understand the craziness latent in
> much of the world (and not just in the Reich, 1st, 2nd or 3rd), would surely
> find much meaning here. (Who said, better to light something or other than
> just curse the darkness?)

Anyway,