Re: URL for platinum gum comparison

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:56:51 -0700

This illustrates beautifully the distinction I've been making between
two types of "fully tonal." I've said that with a one-coat
traditional gum, one can fairly easily make a "fully tonal" print in
the sense that there are values that go from dark to light-- some
darks, some mids, some lights. But that I've never yet seen a one-
coat gum print that Is truly fully tonal in the sense of being able
to express tonal subtlety in the darks and the lights at the same
time. Chris threw out a challenge early on in the back-exposure
debate to the effect that she can make a fully tonal print in a one-
coat, and I answered that perhaps we mean different things by fully
tonal; it seems to me that those of us who say we can make a fully
tonal print in one gum coat mean something different by "fully tonal"
than those who say it can't be done. Chris has simply demonstrated
here the difference. The platinum print has a fully tonal scale of
the second type; the gum print has a "fully tonal" scale of the first
type.

I had hoped after seeing Marek's back-exposed print that we might be
able to achieve the second type of tonal scale in one coat with back
exposure, but in the few experiments I've done so far, I myself have
yet to make a back-exposed print on plastic that surpasses what can
easily be done with a conventional one-coat on paper-- ten steps give
or take a few on a 21-step tablet-- as Chris demonstrates here. The
only way I know of yet to achieve a fully tonal print in the sense
that there is tonal delicacy in highlights mids, and shadows
(although I still haven't given up on the hope of an improved tonal
scale from back exposure) in other words the only way been able to
print a truly long scale in gum is, as Dave says, multiple printing.
happily surprised, but there are no surprises here.

Katharine