Re: URL for platinum gum comparison

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 10:13:49 -0700

Agreed. I'm sure of this (that a print rivaling the tonal scale of
platinum can be achieved with two gum coats) from my own experience,
but have never done a direct side by side comparison with platinum,
so will look forward to seeing yours.

What I don't understand (and this goes with the usual caveat that
looking at jpeg rather than actual print makes any interpretation
tentative) is that the print that's made with the "correct curve"
seems grainier than the print made with the same coating mix but a
different negative. I can't think of any logic of the gum process
that would explain why that should be so.
Katharine

On May 1, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Dave Soemarko wrote:

> And it is not just the matter of tonality either. If it were, we
> can adjust
> the tonality/curve either digitally or by positive/negative masking
> in the
> traditional way.
>
> But the fact is that when you do a gum print (at least a
> traditional gum
> print with analog negative), somewhere after the midtone and near the
> highlight, you get grainy effect. Depending on the paper and
> sizing, the
> grainy effect might not be too pronounced (so I don't mean very rough,
> coarse effect, but the effect can be seen). This is because of the
> gum layer
> is near the top of the tooth (or top of the "punk hair" using the
> model that
> I used before. The tooth or punk hair does not have equal length
> like a true
> nicely trimmed punk hair, but I will get to this later in the summer).
>
> You can see this grainy effect even in a simple print using a step
> tablet.
> When one see that, one can tell already that a single coat gum
> cannot show
> the same look as Platinum because the difference is not only on
> tonality but
> on graininess as well (and I am not saying which one is better
> because that
> depends on the object/purpose of the printing and personal
> preference. I am
> talking talking about the technical side of it).
>
> However, if one understands the concept of duotone and have control
> of it in
> gum process, I believe one can achieve the same tonality and the
> same (or
> perhaps almost the same) smoothness with gum compared with Platinum.
>
> When I setup my printing environment again, I will ask if Pt/Pd
> printer
> might be interested in a test. What I will need is an original
> negative from
> you (one that have full tone but is not so important for you (just
> in case
> there is a loss) and preferably one that you have a duplicate) and
> a Pt/Pd
> print from you. If you are interested, please let me know (either
> now or
> then).
>

> Dave S

>>> Gum_Platinum_Compare.