Re: Hello

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:56:47 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liam Lawless" <lawless@bulldoghome.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: Hello

> Sandy,
>
> Because it wasn't a proper attachment, more of an
> "insertion". An
> attachment is a file that needs to be opened in its own
> program (Photoshop,
> Word, whatever) whereas the offending article in this case
> was an inserted
> picture (not a file as such). Pictures cannot be inserted
> in plain text
> messages...
>

> Liam

   I think the message was sent in HTML inadvertently. This
can happen in some e-mail programs because the settings are
sometimes not obvious. OE, for instance, can be set to reply
in the same format as the received message, so, even if you
think you are sending plain text you may not be if the
original message is HTML. This was an attachment because it
was a JPEG, but mail readers capable of displaying HTML will
read and display image files. I've written to Sandy off list
to make some suggestions about how to find the right setting
to prevent this from happening.
   I have also written Gord asking if the list software is
capable of blocking attachments or stripping HTML. Some list
software is, some isn't. I am co-administrator of two lists
where this is done. Since this is an international list and
since some, perhaps most, members are on slow dial-up
connections, this is no more than a courtesy.
   Some common mail clients are so complex that its an
adventure to find all the settings. Much like using
Microsoft Word after someone else has had at it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com