Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 2/5/06 8:52:03 pm, Ender100@aol.com writes:

> What I am not sure I  understand is if you are saying that for a given mix
> of gum printed with one coat, changing the shape of the curve will NOT allow
> you to  get whatever tones you want between the DMax of this given mix (one
> printing) and paper white?  And further that you can only obtain some of the
> tones ?  Which ones?

I share Martk's doubts.

Surely the point is that as gum has a clearly defined range, any fiddling
around with mixes or curves can only affect what occurs within that range. Thus
apparent increases in perceived density in the print are at the expense of loss
of gradation.

This is such a basic principle of gum printing that one is surprised that
anyone who claims to understand it would express a contrary view.

Terry