Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:27:11 -0700

On May 2, 2006, at 2:59 PM, TERRYAKING@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/5/06 8:52:03 pm, Ender100@aol.com writes:
>

>> What I am not sure I understand is if you are saying that for a
>> given mix of gum printed with one coat, changing the shape of the
>> curve will NOT allow you to get whatever tones you want between
>> the DMax of this given mix (one printing) and paper white? And
>> further that you can only obtain some of the tones ? Which ones?
>
> I share Martk's doubts.
>
> Surely the point is that as gum has a clearly defined range, any
> fiddling around with mixes or curves can only affect what occurs
> within that range. Thus apparent increases in perceived density in
> the print are at the expense of loss of gradation.

Exactly, which is what I was saying about the difference between
Chris's two prints; she increased the perceived DMax and lost some of
the tones. I'm not sure where the idea came from that I might be
suggesting that fiddling around with mixes or curves could extend the
range of the emulsion; I'd think it would be obvious that I'm
arguing exactly the opposite.
Katharine