Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Ender100_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 22:30:12 -0400 (EDT)

Yves,

I agree with your entire post.... except for one thing. While color files
can have millions of colors and printers can reproduce a lot of them when
making a standard color inkjet print, there isn't currently a means of creating a
digital negative with more than 256 tones. No matter how you may try, there
isn't currently a way to do it with a single negative printing even a 16 bit
gray scale image. But if you discover one, I'll be the first to buy your book.

But for Tri Color Gum, I doubt if anyone would ever notice, because you have
a lot more possible tones due to printing 3 negatives.

Actually printing something like AZO would be most likely to give you
posterization—you are spreading 256 tones across a wider print density range. (log
.03—log 2.2?)

There are, however, colors that will give you less than 256 tones, because
Photoshop can't parse them into 256 tones.

It's Dan Burkholder, not Don Burkholder who wrote Making Digital Negatives
for Contact Printing. A great book—I have both editions and recommend the book
to my workshop students. I think Don Burkholder is the guy who took the
photos in New Orleans and made some comment about Cheney heheheheh

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives--The Book
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups