Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 03:26:46 -0400

Terry,

you may be right, I thought I read posts by you quite a few times where you kind of find digi-negs a waiste of time. Below you obviously don't say this again and you basically agree with the concept of matching a negative with the process response. The way this is done, wheter the traditional approach (wet processing) or the digital approach (curves) is irrelevent, it could be much easier and much less costly to play with numbers then with chemicals but that's another story.

in an earlier message late last night you wrote this: "It is you who has fallen into the trap of allowing yourself to be blinded by this obsession with curves"

and before that, to me you wrote this :

"This was an attempt to explain the inexplicable.

The curves are not only an unnecessary complication but they also confuse the issue. Expressed without reference to curves, all this is saying is that there is a loss of gradation if the density of the print is 'stretched'.

Incidentally, how would you explain Puyo's technique in making single coat gum prints ?

Furthermore, if you think that you are not getting your point over in English, why not make the point in French too ?"

I could go on but it would be pointless IMHO. I don't know this person, Puyo's and there are a lot more things I don't know about or don't understand but if I would have a little bit of context on what he does I'm sure if not me, someone else could give you all the response you want and maybe much more.

But if I was satisfied with a relatively low Dmax, say the 1.2 as Sandy said earlier and the relatively flat response obtainable from a single coat gum print. I would approach the problem this way, first I would make enough gum emultion such that can make quite a few test and prints without changing anything to my recipe. One of my first test would be to find how much exposure I need to secure the target Dmax. The next test would be to print a standard step tablet to learn the response of this particular emultion/paper combo if not already done simultaniously in the exposure test. Now I don't presuppose a linear response would suit the image just like that and I would use a negative feedback approach to find what kind of curve I will use for this image on this particular emultion. The way this would be done is say I print a negative where the densities progress in a strait line from min to max and to compare it with a different version, I could begin by increasing the contrast in the highlights, if I don't like that I could try the same with the shadow and so on until I'm satisfied I've made the finest print I could.

Now I claimed not long ago that I could manipulate the negative values to produce any tones or densities I wanted from the min to the max a specific emultion can produce with proper exposure but I didn't say how and since then I've find out quite a few things. To make things as short as possible the concept is this: An (R,G,B) triplet is normaly viewed as a color, from now on, lets view it as an effective UV density.

We all know a specific density on a properly match negative will cause a distinct exposure to be effectively applied locally under the area(s) where we find those specific densities and this will cause some specific tone to be produce. Now say I can choose from 16 million such triplets each producing a specific density value but not all triplet produce a distinct density value or the other way around it is possible a specific density can be obtain using different triplets. If I would choose from this large pool of triplets a bunch, such that each of them produce the tone that I want, this would give us an incredible number of ways to print a gum emultion in a single exposure. There is however a BUG with this idea, no it is not the number of distinct density that can be produce but rather the software we are using doesn't allow us to change individual pixel value one at a time, it's crazy but they where not design that way. But thankfully, there are workaround and it wont be long before someone gets it, if you see what I mean.

Regards
Yves

PS. There are many many details I left out but be assured, we wont need to involve the NASA.