RE: Paper Absorbancy/Exposure: Cyanotype over Ziatype

From: D. Mark Andrews <mark_at_dragonbones.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 22:07:23 -0700

That did the trick Terry. Thanks.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: TERRYAKING@aol.com [mailto:TERRYAKING@aol.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:40 PM
  To: alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca
  Subject: Re: Paper Absorbancy/Exposure: Cyanotype over Ziatype

  Mark

  Solving the absorbency question first. Try sizing over the platinum print
with a 1 or 2 % gelatine solution. Dry it quickly and then humidify the
paper before coating with the cyanotype solution..

  Cyanotype rex would gove you a good blue black straight off.

  Terry

  I've been exploring different alt techniques to achieve a blue/black color
and "look" for a series of images I'm working on. At the suggestion of
Kerik, I gave cyanotype over platinum a go--it was my last option--sorry
Kerik. I wasn't looking forward to it since I've found platinum tempermental
(perhaps it's me) and not very paper friendly. However, this most likely
will be the option I choose since I'm very pleased with the initial
tests--thank you Kerik. After re-reading Kerik's workshop book I decided to
give Ziatype a go instead of straight platinum and I'm very happy with the
results. Anyways, that's a bit of history. I'm currently having two problems
that I would like some advice on:

  1. Paper absorbancy: The dryed ziatypes suck down my cyanotype solution. I
can barely get get my magic brush onto the puddle of solution before it is
absorbed. I tried some tween, but it didn't really help. You gum printers
must have this issue AND a solution :-)

  2. Cyanotype exposure: My exposures are very long, nearly twice what they
were when printing the negatives as cyanotypes only. I can live with this,
but was wondering if this is to be expected or perhaps it is due to paper
absorbancy issue. I don't think I'm getting a very even coat on the paper.

  Many thanks in advance for your good suggestions.

  Mark