RE: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Dave Soemarko <fotodave_at_dsoemarko.us>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:55:57 -0400

Adjustment #2 is not that easy to do. I used to think that when I started
with gum because I thought everything was linear simple math, but I soon
found it wasn't.

I started with a simple mix and got a nice gradation though the Dmax wasn't
as black as I liked. It was like a dark gray. So I thought "that's simple,
just add a little pigment." So I did and make another print, and the print
turned out to be lighter! I thought it must be my inexperience in coating,
so I tried a few more and found that they were also lighter. Then I realized
that it was because with heavier pigment, there was a filtration effect, so
the step tablet was underexposed.

So I had to double my printing time. It was better, but I still couldn't get
the maximum black. So I exposed more (3x), I still could not. That was
because to achieve the darkest black the UV has to penetrate through the
black pigment, and the deeper it has to go through, unfortunately the more
pigment it has to cut through. The effect is that you have a long long
shoulder on the shadow area.

But that time, my exposure time is about 2 hours. I still hadn't got to
maximum black with that coating, and I also hadn't got to maximum black that
I desired by adding more pigment. By step tablets I could estimate that if I
added more black pigment and wanted to achieve the max black, my exposure
time is going to be at least EIGHT HOURS!

I did expose one with 4 hours and got a beautiful gradation of about 10
steps! but the gradation is not linear, so one must make a perfect negative
that match the shadow, midtone, and highlight perfectly in order to use the
system. I suppose with a perfect negative and exposure of 8 hours, one might
be able to get a perfect single-coat gum print (perfect in a sense that
every or most tones fall to or close to the desired density).

That was when I decided that two coat gum is probably going to achieve the
same thing easier and even faster. You can use a (or two) less-perfect
negatives, but with flashing and different strengths of pigment for each
coat, you can achieve what you want easier. The only thing is that you shift
the problem from making perfect negative, perfect coating, and perfect
exposure to the mechanical problem or registration with multiple coating.

Dave S

  _____