RE: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Dave Soemarko <fotodave_at_dsoemarko.us>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 16:55:25 -0400

Katharine wrote:

<< This is amazing, Dave, and so opposite my own experience, I'm not sure I
can get there from here. With a heavy pigment load I get a black as dark as
the pigment (say lamp black that is concentrated enough to be as black as
black can be) with a very short exposure, say one or two minutes), and more
exposure doesn't increase the DMax but simply extends the tonal range upward
as far as it can go, which in my experience isn't far with a heavy pigment
load. It baffles me that gum could work so differently in someone else's gum
universe... >>

Hi Katharine,

Come to think about it, I think my gum mix is thicker than most printers are
using. I also use gouache for the tests that I was doing, so it was more
opaque. The two combination probably makes exposure requirement much harder.

What I was trying to achieve at that point though, was to get the deep black
compared to the pure gouache (maybe mixed a little with water). I wasn't
able to get to that point. Are you able to get that with watercolor? (I
mean, more or less, it doesn't have to be completely as black as the
undiluted watercolor).

Thanks,
Dave