Re: A poignant point Yves

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 18:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 6 May 2006, John Grocott wrote:

> I am sure Judy will not mind me mentioning that during the compiling of
> her last Post Factory Magazine # 9, I told her I would be ''liaising''
> with a colleague on a future project. The resultant outburst ( dear
> Judy) intimated that I had just invented this word as she had never, she
> told me, in all of her ** young years come across the verb to ''liaise''
> with someone. Where I had learned the word I could not remember and I
> had later to see if, indeed, it was in my dictionary. It was a surprise
> for me to find it was there.

Actually John, you make my point... I'd never heard the word "liaise," tho
it is indeed in Websters, as a "back formation from liaison."

Though the meaning was apparent, I'd never heard it. Is it possibly more
used in England? Whichever, now that you bring it up, it could catch on.
I'll remember it, and so will others. Isn't this a good thing?

In fact e-mail may have brought many snappy phrases to Americans from
England... we begin to hear things like don't get your knickers in a knot
and up ones nose, etc. For the record, however, in the US, getting
"knocked up" still means pregnant -- morning, noon or night.

Judy