A poignant point Yves

From: John Grocott <john.grocott403_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 19:31:30 +0100

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Yves Gauvreau
  To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:56 PM
  Subject: Re: arrogance and politics

  Excellent point Bob,
  Dear Yves,

  I do sympathize with the point you make about finding it difficult to follow a vernacular dialogue in English, or any language. My ''hobby'' from age twelve has been in analysing words ( etymology) but even after all these years I sometimes, indeed often, find it a problem keeping up with phrases used by my great grand children. They do not expect , without me asking, to explain things in their talk which are taken for granted by their peers at school. Quizzing them occasionally gives clues but its all done in good humour (humor). A paradox was when I once sat in on a lecture about Shakespeare given by a French professor in Rouen. Most of it was Greek to me since my French lady friend would not, could not, translate some of the expressions he used. My first of many big lesson in understanding. In any case, for us, written words on a computer screen are not, by any means, a totally efficient means of individual expression. There is so much missing....facial expression, gesticulation, inflexions/ inflections in the voice, attitude, visual references. So we need to make allowances for our own shortcomings re internet communication, n'est pas ?

  I am sure Judy will not mind me mentioning that during the compiling of her last Post Factory Magazine # 9, I told her I would be ''liaising'' with a colleague on a future project. The resultant outburst ( dear Judy) intimated that I had just invented this word as she had never, she told me, in all of her ** young years come across the verb to ''liaise'' with someone. Where I had learned the word I could not remember and I had later to see if, indeed, it was in my dictionary. It was a surprise for me to find it was there.

  But watch out for that X.F. Mullarky. I think he was an ardent pupil of James Joyce.

  Hugs all round. Mmmmmm... waaah ! !

  John Grocott- Photographist - London - UK

  SKYPE(video) name CARBONS999