Re: More questions

From: Michael Koch-Schulte <mkochsch_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 00:50:17 -0500

More questionsGu,
1. The Oxalic Acid assists in dissolving the "powdered" Ferric Oxalate sensitizer some suppliers sell (your Part A) putting or keeping it in solution. It's also a key component in the manufacture of Ferric Oxalate 27% liquid solutions.
2. Wikipedia is free, that doesn't necessarily make it the best or always accurate. Perhaps a trip to the local university library will give you the answers when in doubt. There're a few people on the list who are comfortable talking about obital shells if you have a direct question about something chemical.
3. Ring up Liam Lawless. Ask to borrow a cup of Aqua Regia. Then go rip the catalytic convertor off your car.... ;^) whoa just kidding.
4. Claire Vrana at JDPhotochem is pretty reliable -- last I heard. We want her to stay in business and she get almost anything that's legal. Anachemia is another possibility but they have a minimum $100 on every order I think, they are where commercial labs go to.
5. Doubtful that there will be duties, at least from the US. Largely a thing of the past since the NAFTA. Where you get hit when importing besides the taxes and dollar value (not so much a factor these days as we're closing in to "on par" status with the greenback, 'don't mention the war'), is the cost of shipping is higher is disproportionately higher on small shipments compared to larger shipments.
6. I thought most chems if stored dry had better shelf life than wet ones. Obviously, as Sandy says, this is not true right across the board. Take water for example... :) Know thy materials to the point of loathing is my advice.

(up way to late)
~m