RE: toner

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:04:22 +0300

I guess it depends very much on the image. If you tone low keys image
mostly, it will exhaust much quickly (prints with non-image dark borders
will exhaust the toner even more quickly)... On the other hand, if you
tone high key images mostly, it will exaust relatively slowly. You just
dump the toner when toning times reach an unacceptable level (10 mins.
for instance; this is quite unacceptable when you start with 1min.) Or
as Don suggested in another message about toning, you can choose to use
the toner one shot. He says, toner amnt. as little as 30 - 50ml is
enough for toning a 8x10 print (in a flat tray of course). This way
calculating capacity is easy: 8x10 is equal to 4 4x5 prints. 500ml /
30ml ~= 16, 16 x 4 = 64 prints (in case of 30ml per 8x10 consumption) or
500 / 10 = 10, 10 x 4 = 40 prints... Quite good for 2.5ml palladium
isn't it? (Please note that I assumed you'll mask the borders outside of
4x5" image area) Probably capacity will be even higher when not using
toner one shot but as a full 500ml bath for each prints... (Toning times
will increase gradually this way.)

Regards,
Loris.