Re: studio cameras circa 1950s

From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 20:56:15 -0700

The simplest answer is that journalists primarily used Speed Graphic
4x5 cameras with a sports view finder, which
was a sort of a coat hanger wire above the camera body shaped like
the format.
35mm camera work was known, and shot, but primarily not used. The
Germans, who first evolved the picture/word
photo magazine, used 35mm with people like Alfred Eisendstadt and
Andre Kertesz working w/the small camera.
Robert Capa, during WWI also used the small camera, which was the
Leica and he worked for Life. I do not believe
the 355 camera was used for new/magazine work unti mid-60's when all
hell was breaking loose with an assassinated
president, black leader and the damned Viet Nam war. There was a hope
for truth and the 35mm camera represented
this. The Nikon soon outshone the Leica as the tool of the trade.