Re: studio cameras circa 1950s

From: Robert W. Schramm <schrammrus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 01:20:51 -0400

Jack is right as usual. I had, actually have, a few photojournalist friends.
The Speed Graphic was used until the 1960s. The format was mostly 4 x 5
although there were some 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and
3 1/4 x 4 1/4 models. Century Graphics were also used. These were essentialy
identical in all ways to the Speed Graphic but without the focal plane
shutter. B & H also made a 4 x 5 Press Camera which was popular and less
expensive. The most popular film was Kodax Tri-X 4 x 5 sheet film.
Plate holders, which held two sheets of film were used until the film pack
was invented. The film pack was used with a film pack adapter which fit on
the back of the Speed Graphic . I think it held 12 sheets of film. You put
the film pack in the adapter and pulled out the first tab and tore it off.
Then you pulled out the dark slide and made the first exposure. Then you put
the dark slide back in and pulled the second tab. Pulled the dark slide and
made the second exposure, etc.,etc.
Thuis was faster than plate holders and took up less room. Flashguns for
these cameras originally used large bulbs which were about the size of a 60
watt light bulb and bulky. Later the miniatute
"Press 25" bulb was developed. It was a little smaller than a small egg.
Press photogs carried a pocket full of Press 25s in their left jacket pocket
and a few film packs in their right jacket pocket.
Jack describes the "sports finder" which was often used but the cameras had
and optical finder as well as a range finder. Using this system a good press
photographer could shoot a lot of film pretty fast but not, of course as
fast as with the 35 mm camera with motor drive; however, it did have the
advantage of a large negative. Some modern 35 mm films are supposed to have
the resolution of the old 4 x 5 films but, I doubt it. It is also
interesting that the old flash bulbs put out more light than the modern
strobes.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com