RE: Platinum/Palladium & Paper Speed

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 00:32:45 +0300

Eric, I used oxalic acid pre-soak with Whatman HP watercolor paper only (2%,
for 2mins), back when I was making my first tests with Ziatype. Later, I
realized that I don't need this extra step with that paper.

Anyway, I write this to let you know that Whatman didn't exhibited any
coating problems and excessive absorption after oxalic acid pre-soak,
FWIW...

Whatman is probably sized with Aquapel, not gelatine since Mike Ware is
recommending it for Argyrotypes saying "...Only the best cotton fibre,
internally sized with Aquapel and free of other additives, will do. Papers
that I have found to work well are Whatman's Watercolour or Printmaking
papers and..." Were all the papers you tested sized with gelatine?

Regards,
Loris.