Cyanotypes and gum-bichromates and dark rooms

John L. Bordley, Jr. (jbordley@seraph1.sewanee.edu)
Mon, 22 Aug 94 08:00:25 CDT

>On Wed, 17 Aug 1994, Chris Read wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there currently in to gum-bichromate, cyanotype,
>
>these are two things I've been wanting to do for a while.
>
>BUT I have no darkroom (well, I use a rental here in NY) and no
>experience --
>are these things you would recommend doing on one's own with only books
>for reference?

These two processes can be done quite easily with a room that is darkened
as opposed to a dark room! The only time you need subdued light is when
you are coating the paper, letting it dry, and getting your contact print
set up. A small table area is fine. Rinsing in water can be anywhere.

I would recommend Marilyn Sward's and Diane Reeve's book. I don't have the
exact name here, but I think it is Alternative Photographic Processes on
Handmade Paper (about 1983).

I've done a lot of cyanotypes - easily learned. I've done only a ocuple
gum bichromates - more tedious, more time consuming.

I am VERY INTERESTED in facts and stories about problems with health issues
with cyanotypes. Marilyn Sward is very concerned about this area and has
several stories of people who became ill. I am a chemistry teacher and
teach a course called Chemistry and Art and also do some work with middle
school aged children and am interested in separating the facts and fiction.
If there are problems (or if there are not!), I would like to document and
publicize them.