Re: Developing negs

Peter Mumford (pmumford@seanet.com)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 13:21:47 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 14 Dec 1994, Adam Kimball wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing what developers you use for processing negs
> intended for pt/pd printing. I have been using D-23 for awhile with
> T-Max 400 film and find that the combination works well for most
> lighting situations. But when I photograph in over-cast skies, I can't
> get the D-23 to expand well without getting a good deal of fog. Normally,
> I develop the T-Max for 10 minutes, when I push it any higher, I lose
> any benefit because of the fog. What other developers are used for
> alternative processes?

I tried d-23, on the recomendation of Rob Stienberg of the Palladio Co,
but it didn't work for me. But, I work in salted paper, which requires a
lot more contrast. I develope my negs in hc-110, my interpositives and
enlaged negs in straight d-19. Don't laugh at the idea of d-19 if you
havent tried it. It is remarkable stuff. Shadows come out very strong.
It gives better highlight and shadow separation than any other developer I've
tried.

If you are using a nice modern lens, ie coated, d-19 might be too strong
to use on in-camera negs. most of my work is done with a coated lens and
hp-5 film. For these negs, hc-110, dilution a or c, is perfect.

But with an antique lens, I've had better results shooting on ilford ortho
film and developing in d-19.

I know this is not really an answer to your question, it is just my
experience. The point is, if d-23 is too soft for you, there is nothing
wrong with other developers. If they work better, (and are easier and
cheaper too) use them.

have fun, Peter Mumford