Re: ALT-PHOTO-PROCESS flame or not to flame.

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 20:00:11 +0300

>>Maybe someone is not yet used to doing research, ....
>Ok, so lets make suggestions how they might start rather than do it for
>them! Otherwise they will never start.

This is a good point. The FAQ should be gradually expanded to cover most
basic needs and newcomers should be directed to it.

On one of the library lists I used to monitor (about rare books) there was
one particularly heated exchange about the way some people used the list.
Many of the subscribers discussed details of latin, Greek, and other
languages in incunabula (i.e, books printed before 1501), and the overall
tone of the list was rather serious. One day, someone posted a question
which is apparently easily answered in a standard reference work. Someone
replied that the net was not a substitute for intelligence and
circumspection and from then on, all hell broke loose...

When groups get larger, they tend to split up into smaller, more
specialized groups. This is what happened under Usenet, where there is now
a so-called Advanced group. There are so many groups and postings that I
can no longer find the time to browse though the subject lines of all of
them, let alone reading the messages.

The Alt-photo list is still pretty small. Posters will make life easier by
being careful in their choice of words on the Subject line. I usually
delete a message that appears too vague, like "Help". Help about what,
please? People will get more help if they do some of the work themselves.
I, and many others, I am sure, am more inclined to help someone who has
already done some of the work.

There are people out there who have very good reasons for not having access
to information. Some have no local library; some are in a wheelchair and
the local library is not equipped to handle that; some can't afford
books... and some can't afford books because cigarettes and beer are too
expensive;-)

My two cents.

Luis Nadeau
"Months in the lab, will save hours at the library"