Re: Gum Dichromate print washing

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:40:07 -0700

You wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Luis Nadeau wrote:
>
>> I'll make sure I don't buy your property! You could probably pour 50
pounds
>> of dichromate in your septic system and not notice anything in the
short
>> term, until neighbors or their children have strange health problems
years
>> later or until someone has their water analized, in which case the
entire
>> neigborhood's property value is down the drain because the water
won't be
>> safe for the next 50 years...
>
>What is a proper and feasible way for an amateur to dump dichromate
then?

Unless you are in to dichromate printing in a huge way, I simply
would't worry about it. Luis mentioned 50 pounds - I think it
would take me about that many years to have unreacted dichormate in
that kind of quantity. We are *not* dealing with heavy metal salts
here. While an industrial user should have concerns, a small scale
amatuer doesn't have a serious problem IMHO.
Gini