Re: Pt/Pd Printer's Survey

maria@perseus.tufts.edu
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 13:08:56 -0400

Guy Vinson wrote:

> IUm sure that you have the best intentions in the world with producing a
>book composed of information that other people supply. I am sure that it will
>be
>well received and you should sell many copies. I do have one or two questions.
>Are you going to share any profits with the people suppling you with the
>material for 'your book' beyond just the chance to buy a copy at cost.

Few artists' technique books published are _not_ "composed of information
that other people supply," whether those sources are teachers, friends,
chemical suppliers, historical writings, or what have you.
I don't see why you have to be negative about this project that David Fokos
is starting. It should be clear to everyone on this list that he is not
going to bump OJ Simpson off the best-seller lists with it! And it _will_
be "his" book, since he is the one with the initiative and the energy to
produce it. From his posting I understood that Mr. Fokos has been a pt/pd
printer for some time. He could probably publish a book without anyone's
input, but he quite reasonably believes that it will be a better book if
artists share their opinions and experience about the processes.
But maybe you would prefer to keep the hallowed secrets of platinum and
palladium printing out of the reach of the hoi polloi, people like me who
are beginners and who want all the information we can get.

Maria Daniels