Re: gum bichromate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 02:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Jun 1995, Dan Shapiro wrote:
> > I've found exposure times radically longer than seconds, e.g.,
> minutes (5-10) in sunlight at mid-afternoon. This is with a saturated
> dichromate solution. Are there hidden variables here, or am I just
> living further from the sun?>

Among variables for gum exposure are proportion of gum to sensitizer, the
paper, the thickness of the coat (light has to get through it), the color
(red through yellow are less sensitive to UV light), denseness of
negative, drying method (forced heat-drying reduces sensitivity,
depending on handling up to a factor of five!) and age of sensitiser.
Also, Gini may be using ammonium dichromate, which is a more saturated
saturated solution than potassium.

Judy