Re: gum bichromate

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Jun 95 10:53 BST-1

> What is "gum-based glue"? Gum Arabic? You mixed from powder or bought
> lithographer's gum? What's the preservative? Gum can go bad; bad gum
> won't clear.("Glue" means something else in UK than in US?)

Here in the UK I would recommend the use of 'Gloy Gum' which is made by
Henkel in England and is a PVA gum of some kind. It keeps very well, is a
convenient strength for use and the bottle I have cost one pound 34p for
142ml. It is slightly coloured, but this is not generally a problem. I
normally have used the same 'gum' that goes into these bottles - it is a
white solid, but I don't think this is generally available. (I don't have
its exact specification - possibly a trade secret.)

Faster than 'gum arabic' which I don't think is available here as
'gum-based glue' but can be bought as gum arabic solid or solution from
artists' suppliers.