Re: Mapplethorpe & Gelatin Silver

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.EDU)
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 10:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Allen wrote:
> I'd heard of gelatin-silver materials before, but relegated them to
cumbersome alternative processes and didn't seek out their use. At the
exhibit, I noted that Mapplethorpe, as late as the '80's was using the
process. Can someone explain to me the following:
> 1) Paper -- is it available commercially? Or is it something
> esoteric that needs to be "hand-made"?
> 2) If available -- where? Photographer's Formulary? Other
> locations? Phone #'s?
> 3) Chemicals needed for processing -- is it a mess compared to
> standard silver materials, or fairly similar in that regard? Again
> availability & where?
> 4) Cost. Is it a process that can be viewed as cost effective
> (compared, say, to other, much more expensive materials, ie. platinum,
> palladium, as well as to standard silver processes)
> Allen R. Johnson, Jr. * *
Dear Allen : Go to any library and you'll find enough info on Mr.
Mapplethorpe to derive your needed info re his career. On the topic of
Silver Gelatin, that is the name given to standard B/W prints by the
industry of the gallery in order to properly designate different types of
photographic prints. I think too, it is a fancier title that enhances the
value of any photographic B/W print created by a serious artist.
So, ANY photo paper you purchase in the photo supply store, whether by
Kodak, Agfa, Mitsubishi etc contains an emulsion of gelatin with a salt
of light sensitive materials which main ingredient is a silver salt. It
is the artist's ability to create a negatrive, choose an enlarger and
paper and developer which comes together w/printing skills to make that
photographic print different from others.
J. Fulton
***The eye is the Pencil of Nurture***