Re: Gelatin-Silver !?!?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Fri, 30 Jun 95 22:44 BST-1

> Hello all:
>
> Since the subject is mentioned again, I have a couple of comments. It
> occurred to me (a) that the term "gelatine silver photograph" is fairly
> recent, maybe from the late '70s when galleries discovered that
> photography was ART & wanted to gussy it up.

Absolutely right on motive. Gelatine silver = ordinary photo plus we are
charging a few hundred dollars extra.

The terms 'gelatine paper','gelatine emusions', 'gelatine plates',
'gelatino-bromide paper', 'gelatino-chloride paper' etc were all in use
early in the century to distinguish this materials from the other
processes in common use. Not that I was around then, but my my most
useful photographic book, Cassell's Encyclopaedia of Photography was.