Re: A question about toning...

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 1 Jul 1995 18:48:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Jul 1995, Adam Kimball wrote:
> could it be. I wonder if it is the palladium reacting with OLD hypo which
> was never washed out of the print? Anyone got ideas? Judy, I know you've
> had similar problems- any ideas?
>
> Also- why is it necessary to re-fix a print after it is toned?

Adam, I may be the only person minding the store here while everyone is
at the beach, but I haven't done a lot of toning of kallitype. I do
not think however that you re-fix after toning. Who told
you to do that? The question is whether to tone before fixing or after --
and, as in POP paper, mostly kallitype seems be toned before fixing. I
would guess that silver compounds in the fix might be making the yellow.

I've done a lot of "gelatine silver" toning, where many formulas tell you
to refix, which I never did. I think there's a fear that some of the
silver halide didn't get redeveloped & might have an effect in time -- I
haven't seen any problem and I say let posterity worry about that
one. (How'm I doing, Gini?). Besides, I'm too busy trying to clean up my
dichromate.

My recommendation would be to tear a print in half (I love doing that) -- or
make 2 identical prints in same solutions -- tone one before & other after
the fix, and then report to list. But come to think of it, that might have
to be 3 tests -- one of them after fixing and washing, so right there is a
good reason for toning before fixing: you save one wash.

Happy 4th of July

Judy