Re: Encyclopedias

David Soemarko (fotodave@m-net.arbornet.org)
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 10:26:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, Guillermo Penate wrote:

> Talking about GELATIN, I read somewhere that the gelatin used by the
> film manufacturing industry has animal origin. Now I remember, it was
> in Pop.Photography (no, I don't buy it!!).

Gelatine, jello, and some gum are basically the same thing, just differ
in strength and purity. They came from animal bone and / or skin. Have
you notice that when you make chicken stock by cooking chicken neck bone
for a long time, the stock is kind of thick and form jell like jello
after it is cold.

Gum (depending on the definition) can come from plants (gum arabic, e.g.)
or from animal although in the later case it is most often called glue
(hide glue, e.g.)

For those who have concern for animal rights, the manufacturers do NOT
kill animal for making the gelatine or jello, it is a by-product of the
beef industry.