Re: animals in film

David Soemarko (fotodave@m-net.arbornet.org)
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 10:32:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, J. McArdle wrote:

> > Talking about GELATIN, I read somewhere that the gelatin used by the
> > film manufacturing industry has animal origin. Now I remember, it was

> Yes, this is a big moral dilemma (and aren't there so many in photography!)
> for us vegetarians! I don't know if G Penate is upset about the use of

I have posted another post concerning this, but since you specificially
have this concern, I would repeat it again:

Gelatine comes from cooking and purifying animal skin and / or bones.
However, manufacturers of gelatine (and jello and gum) do not kill
animals just for this product, they buy it from the beef industry; so
instead of wasting the skin and bones, they use it to make gelatine.

I think this info. would make human right activists feel better, but I am
not sure it would with vegetarians though. I hope it would. :)