Re: Encyclopedias

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Wed, 5 Jul 95 18:22 BST-1

> Also, I daresay in 1911 (1913?) platinum and dichromates
> (possibly albumen?) were still in general use, and "gelatino" not yet
> so "normal."
>
> Of course this looking things up in old encyclopedias is dangerous. (How
> long before you got out of Cassell's, Peter?)
A strong will is certainly required. Even more fascinating are some of
the old magazines - I have a few copies of 'The Photo Miniature' - it
started in 1899 and was monthly published in New York and London. The
May 1910 issue discusses the relative merits of the 'six modern
(printing) processes' .. 'development (gaslight) papers; bromide papers,
printing-out papers (collodion and gelatine); self-toning papers; carbon
amd platinum.

Jan 1901 (No22) might be worth you looking for - on gum printing - if you
have access to a good library (bought mine a few years back - haven't
seen any for sale at sensible prices since.)