Re: Encyclopedias

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 17:11:17 -0300

>> Also, I daresay in 1911 (1913?) platinum and dichromates
>> (possibly albumen?) were still in general use, and "gelatino" not yet
>> so "normal."
>>
>> Of course this looking things up in old encyclopedias is dangerous. (How
>> long before you got out of Cassell's, Peter?)
>A strong will is certainly required. Even more fascinating are some of
>the old magazines - I have a few copies of 'The Photo Miniature' - it
>started in 1899 and was monthly published in New York and London. The
>May 1910 issue discusses the relative merits of the 'six modern
>(printing) processes' .. 'development (gaslight) papers; bromide papers,
>printing-out papers (collodion and gelatine); self-toning papers; carbon
>amd platinum.
>
>Jan 1901 (No22) might be worth you looking for - on gum printing - if you
>have access to a good library (bought mine a few years back - haven't
>seen any for sale at sensible prices since.)

The whole series is available on microfilms, along with plenty of other
materials if you can read French, English, German (this covers about 95%)
and a few other languages. Those close to major libraries and museums may
have access to them. Those with money can also have access to them by
simply buying the whole set: US $25,000

I don't own the set:-(

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA