Re: Laser half tone negs.

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 15:53:45 -0300

>On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Peter Marshall wrote:
>
>> You can get really excellent results for other processes such as platinum
>> if you have a good printer with rather higher resolution - say 1200 dpi.
>
>How about for photo-silkscreen? Not only 4 color, but spot color
>seperations? My main concern is that the blacks of the laser printer are
>not black enough to burn into the screen. I've done this before, but the

This is what I expected out of a monochrome laser printer. It is also what
you'd get out of the black printer only of the Iris printer

The tipped in Palladio print that was offered with the latest edition of my
platinum book was made from a (more or less) monochrome interneg produced
on the Iris printer. The final print was excellent and is screenless even
under magnification. All four colors (y,m,c,k) were used to produce an
interneg with the desired intensity and contrast.

I'd like to mention in passing a neat little publication I ran into by
accident at the newstand: _Flash Magazine, The Premier Journal of Desktop
Printing_. Issue 7.2 (May I think) has an article on "A World of Stochastic
FM Screening Techniques"

The issue is full of examples of printing such as:

color dithered to 600 dpi from 300 dpi
600 dpi color FM screen
halftoned (133 lpi, 2400 dpi)
black and white, color, corrected, uncorrected, etc.

The scope of this publication is likely to interest a lot of people here as
it is about every conceivable method of printing using desktop equipment:
Laser transfers and dye subs on T-shirts, coffee mugs, metal surfaces,
raised printing (thermography), etc. They also list suppliers and back
issues are available.

I have no commercial interest with this outfit, which can be reached at:

Flash
Riddle Pond Rd.
W Topsham
VT 05086 USA

The editor and publisher is Walter Vose Jeffries and his email is:

walter@flashmag.com

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada