Re:formaldehyde escalating etc.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 14:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

I realize I ought to save my electrons, throw up my hands & let all this
determined escalating hooha about
formaldehyde run by, but the way these things work, if the current
"wisdom" on the topic prevails, formaldehyde will become even harder to
get than it is now & when we use it in class, some macho kid will faint.

First, let us note from the data sheet Roger so thoughtfully enclosed
that for the DOT a "reportable quantity" of the stuff is 1000 (that's one
thousand) pounds, yes POUNDS. And no label is required under 110 gallons,
that's GALLONS, folks!

Then, it gives possible exposure in terms of an 8-hour shift, and tells
you what to do if you get it in various body apertures, although how you
would do that given all the precautions listed is not immediately clear.

Now how do WE use it? First, we buy a pint, that's one pint, which is a
LIFETIME supply if used sensibly, meaning if the working solution is
filtered as needed and saved.

For actual use, we take 15 cc, that's 1/256th of a gallon. We
dilute this amount in a litre of water, making a 1.5% solution. The way we
use it is to pour it into a tray OUTDOORS, yes OUTDOORS, in fact in
October, when the air is clear and crisp. Wearing gloves. Then we put in
the class's paper, one sheet at a time, during a total of say, 5 minutes.
After about 10 minutes more we hang the paper on lines OUTDOORS to dry,
and return the solution to the glass jug for next year.

If a student misses this class and does it on his/her own, and has the
foolish disregard to do the operation indoors, the act is fairly
detectable by odor & the student is instantly executed, so "carcinogenic"
properties are irrelevant.

I rarely bet less than a million dollars, but I
would BET this fuss is a smokescreen for cracking down against drug mfr.,
as well as a general way of being goody-two shoes about stuff we use at
home, while letting large corporations totally despoil the known galaxy
(and about to get worse, it seems, even with the promised veto). Remember
how we all stopped using canned air because of what it does to the ozone
layer? I have a large can of the stuff in my cellar that I will
never NEVER use. Right? Doesn't everybody? Phil Perkiss told me about
reading somewhere that a company in New Jersey releases into the
atmosphere each MONTH the equivalent of something like 60 thousand cans of
canned air. They pay a monthly fine of something like 100 thousand
dollars, and still make a profit over the alternatives.

I think also of the book someone gave me about toxic poisons in my food.
Not a pleasant thought, but, as we know, all too true. So the book gave
approximate residues of pesticides in various foods. Better to know this,
right?

Well, you're reading along and see, hmmm, quite a lot of pesticide in
potatoes. Bad news. Next is spices & herbs ...like oregano -- good
grief, MORE pesticide in oregano than potatoes! Omigod, think of all
the pizza I had this month. Then you read a little closer & see quantities
are listed by weight of the FOOD, not of the pesticide. In other words,
when I eat as much oregano as a potato weighs I'll have eaten as much
pesticide as I get with -- one potato. I put the book in the compost
heap.

Now, please read the formaldehyde data, which I leave at the end of this
post, and mentally substitute, first the word "gasoline" for each of the
provisions (surely far worse in most categories, no?), and then
"cigarettes" (ditto). And one other thing...... my chemistry is
rudimentary and from BTF (before the flood) but reading the formula for
formaldehyde, I can believe that the components ultimately break down to
become oxygen, hydrogen and carbon in disposal.

What about the chrome and aluminum in the respective alums?

And remember, the formaldeyde is not discarded, but permanently recycled.
The only amount that enters the ecosphere is what evaporates from the
soaked paper. Using a 1.5 percent solution, figuring each sheet of paper
contains a cc ...... Well, try it another way. We use about half a litre
per year of working solution. We are releasing 7.5 cc of formaldehyde per
year into the air ......

Yours for clean living & common sense,

Judy

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995 R.Hyam@rbge.org.uk wrote:
> In the long run it is probably best to design protocols that are as 'edible'
> as possible. Not just for the user but for the environment etc etc. So more
> power to the arms of those coming up with alternatives.

[I certainly agree here, but ...... what is REALLY the "long run"]