Re: Re:formaldehyde escalating etc.

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 17:53:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 romek@ozemail.com.au wrote:

-delete some- snip %<

> The problem is that most of people would ignore threat coming from
> using or being exposed to some chemicals. Even very nasty ones will
> not show off immediately, rather being accumulated.

Maybe I am nitpicking, but I think this statement might be
interpreted incorrectly by some. "Accumulative" and cumulative
effects are not the same. Some chemicals accumulate in our bodies:
DDT, mercury and radioactive materials are a few examples.
Formaldehyde, as far as I know, does not accumulate in our bodies.
That said, repeated exposure or rather the cumulative effects of
exposure to formaldehyde may "cause severe allergies, including
asthma," as pointed out by Susan Shaw in her book OVEREXPOSURE;
HEALTH HAZARDS IN PHOTOGRAPHY. Shaw notes other damaging effects,
noted too in the MSDS, also pointing out that formaldehyde is a
suspected carcinogen. The possibility of suffering from the
cumulative effects of a chemical, cancer included, as I understand
things increase with length of exposure and with the level of the
exposure to the chemical; thus you will note that MSDS refers to
parts/million for a given length of time. E=IxT :*)

> Most cancerogens show its nature after 20-30 years!

> Therefore what we have learnt from some amino-compounds, asbestos,
> and many more justifies very cautious aproach to anything coming
> close of being toxic.

"Amino-compounds" and asbestos are chemicals which accumulate in our
bodies and hence, I suspect, interact with our bodies in a manner
much different from formaldehyde. Speaking only for myself I have
chosen to face the risks of working with formaldehyde (as opposed to
mercury which I steer clear of lacking appropriate equipment). That
said, being aware of the risks involved I handle that chemical and a
good many others with due respect and thus substantially reduce risk
to myself by limiting both the time and level of my exposure.
Formaldehyde is classified as a suspected carcinogen, but then so is
the gasoline that people put into their cars.

> Remember bichromates very popular 30 years ago, derivatives of
> p-phenylene-diamine (CD-1..CD-4), and that bloody formaline. It is
> very toxic, it is proven cancerogen, but it doesn't mean it will kill
> you immediately. )OK, it can if you drink, inject or sniff too much.
> But we must be very careful.

Formaldehyde, and hence formaline are suspected carcinogens, not
"proven" or "human" carcinogens.

snip %<

> We have an old Polish saying - Wise Pole after misfortune. Let's
> be wise before. Have a nice day.

Well put!

--greg schmitz

>===for PGP Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@cunix.cc.columbia.edu>===
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10