Re: carbon arc lamp

Gordon J. Holtslander (holtslander@sask.usask.ca)
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:40:20 -0600 (CST)

Please skip to bottom of message for new stuff
Gordon J. Holtslander 112 Science Place
HOLTSLANDER@SKYFOX.USASK.CA Department of Biology
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Tel (306)966-4433 S7N 5E2
Fax (306)966-4461 Canada

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Greg, Gordon, Christopher, David.....anyone:
>
> I seem to have missed something, so maybe someone will kindly explain WHY
> YOU ARE DOING THIS!! Why are you trying so hard to get dangerous, high
> wattage, heat-making lamp when cool, safe, high UV, low wattage, long-life
> (9000 hours), fast fluorescent bulbs are so available and easy.
>
> I've never used carbon arc or self-ballasting mercury - maybe they're
> special enough to counter all problems. Like how?
>
> Also, it isn't clear whether these bulbs come in a reflector, but my
> experience with single bulbs for UV exposure is that the light is VERY
> uneven over print area larger than 4x5 inches.
>
> Please, ENLIGHTEN me!

Call me lazy, The self ballasting mercury bulb was ridiculously cheap.
Its very easy, just screws into an ordinary light socket, I'm only
printing from 4X5 negatives, so I don't get uneven lighting. It works for me

The MV bulb is relatively safe, not giving off any harmful vapours,
though it does get hot. It would be dangerous if I dropped and broke it
though.

When I start making larger prints I'll make a flourescent printer. Has
anyone tried using germicidal flourescent tubes? These are used to keep
rooms sterilized by bathing them with UV light (They are turned off and
normal lights are turned on when people go into the room). Germicidal
lamps do not have an inner phosphorous coating and thus give off a great
deal of UV light. So much so that they are rather hazardous to use.

Yes, I've managed to find a dangerous flourscent tube.

GH