Re: carbon arc lamp

michael gudzinowicz (ab366@osfn.rhilinet.gov)
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 15:55:35 -0400

"Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtslander@sask.usask.ca> writes:

[cut]
> When I start making larger prints I'll make a flourescent printer. Has
> anyone tried using germicidal flourescent tubes? These are used to keep
> rooms sterilized by bathing them with UV light (They are turned off and
> normal lights are turned on when people go into the room). Germicidal
> lamps do not have an inner phosphorous coating and thus give off a great
> deal of UV light. So much so that they are rather hazardous to use.

Actually, the real germicidal effect is from the generation of
high levels of ozone in the hoods and rooms, which is why
ventilation is turned off while they are in use (usually
overnight) and turned back on well in advance of use. Apart
from taking precautions to avoid damage to your eyes, good
ventilation during and after use should be a consideration.