Re: papers for Pt/Pd

Mike Ware (mike@mikeware.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 11:07:22 +0000

Keith Schreiber writes:

>Recently I have
>tried a sample of Arches Platine and found it to have all of the qualities I
>am looking for but with one major problem. I can't get it to clear completely,
>whether I use my standard procedure of 5 minutes in 3 consecutive baths of 4%
>phosphoric acid or following explicitly Martin Axon's suggestions which came
>with the paper.

Could you say what these suggestions are, please?

>Have any of you who use this paper had a similar problem? If so, how have you
>>solved it?

I have tested Arches Platine with the platinum/palladium print-out process
based on ammonium salts devised by Pradip Malde and myself. It appears to
clear perfectly in the following wet sequence:

Disodium EDTA 5% for 5 minutes
Kodak 'Hypoclear' working strength for 15 minutes
Tetrasodium EDTA 5% for 15 minutes
Water wash for at least 30 minutes

This may not apply exactly to a 'development' Pt process, where a more
energetic first bath may be needed. The rationale behind this treatment
sequence was outlined in my post to this List of 23/8/95. Luis Nadeau also
explains it in the new edition of his book.

>Also there are a few papers refered to in the literature that I have not been
>able to find...... Van Gelder Simili Japon (Malde and Ware, 1988).

This paper, made in Holland, is available in three weights from John
Purcell Paper, London, who also supplied the handmade "Buxton" paper from
Ruscombe Mill that I now use exclusively for all iron-based printing
processes. Judy Seigel has recently found that "Buxton" also works well
with gum bichromate (single coat, without preliminary re-sizing).

Mike

Dr. Michael J. Ware
email: mike@mikeware.demon.co.uk
snailmail: 20 Bath Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 6HH, UK
phone and fax: +44 (0)1298 78604